Fire Prevention Month
Every year thousand of home in the United States are destroyed or damaged by Fire. There are a few easy steps you can take to greatly reduce the chance your home and property will be damaged or anyone injured in a fire- whether it starts inside or outside your home.
PRATICE HOME FIRE SAFETY
- Have smoke detector and fire extinguisher on every level in you home.
- Test and Clean smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries at least twice a year.
- Check Fire extinguisher pressure gauges monthly.
- Store matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or run cords underneath rugs.
- Inspect electrical cords for damage and replace or repair them if needed.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet from furniture and drapes.
- Clean the lint screen on your clothes dryer before each use.
- Have your furnace inspected every year. Change filters several times each year.
- Store flammable materials and chemicals safely away from sources of heat.
- Clean fireplace, coal stove and wood stove chimneys ever year.
- Thin bushes and trees within 30 feet of your home. Clear a wider area of dead wood and other fire fuels.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet form you home.
- Create a family fire escape plan that shows two ways out of every room and a family meeting place outside. Practice it at least twice a year.
- In a fire, get out fast and stay out. Crawl low under smoke.
- Telephone to report a fire only from outside of a burning building.
- If clothes catch fire, Stop, Drop to the floor or ground, and Roll. Cover your face with your hands.
- Shut of gas at the meter.
- Hook up a garden hose and place lawn sprinklers on the roof.
- Wet or pull up vegetation within 15 feet of your home.
- Submerge water-resistant valuables in a pool or pond.
- Move patio furniture inside.
- Close windows and doors.
KNOW WHAT TO DO IN A FIRE
IF A WILDFIRE THREATENS YOU HOME
Prepare to evacuate immediately, if necessary. Park the car facing your escape route and leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.