MPD Offers Halloween Information and Safety Tips
MARION, IN (October 27th, 2016): The Marion Police Department wants everyone to have a SAFE and FUN time during Halloween. Trick-or-Treat hours will be Monday, October 31st - between 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Here are a few safety tips to remember when Trick-or-Treating!
A. A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their neighborhood rounds.
B. Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
C. If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you (the parent). Agree on a specific time when they should return home.
D. Only go to homes with a porch light on, and NEVER enter a home or car for a treat.
Because pedestrian injuries are the most common injuries to children on Halloween, remind Trick-or-Treaters:
• Stay in a group and communicate where they will be going.
• Remember reflective tape for costumes and trick-or-treat bags.
• Carry a cell phone for quick communication.
• Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
• If no sidewalk is available, walk at the far edge of the roadway facing traffic.
• Never cut across yards or use alleys.
• Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks (as recognized by local custom). Never cross between parked cars or out driveways.
• Don't assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing Trick-or-Treaters. Just because one car stops, doesn't mean others will!
• Law enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
Stephen D. Dorsey, Deputy Chief